Located 100 km away from Barcelona and offering options for all tastes and interests, be it history, gastronomy, relaxation, nature and city life, Girona makes the perfect weekend getaway. Get lost in its labyrinth of streets, enjoy a walk by the river, make a stop at its amazing Cathedral and be delighted by quality local cuisine, in a city between the mountains and the sea, between tradition and modernity.
- The Oñar river walk: the first thing you need to do when you arrive to Girona is head to the river walk by the Oñar river, which divides the city in half and is crossed by many bridges. The colorful houses on the sides make a beautiful frame to this city landmark featured on Game of Thrones. If you’re a fan, you definitely shouldn’t miss this tour of Game of Thrones’ filming sites in Girona: click here to read more.
- The Cathedral: built on the highest point of the city, Saint Mary’s Cathedral shows a mix of romanic and gothic styles and features the world’s second largest nave.
- Passeig de la Muralla: for the best views of the city and the Pyrenees, climb up this ancient wall which is 3 km long and is surrounded by beautiful gardens
- El Call, the Jewish Quarter: a labyrinth of cobblestone alleys, it’s one of the world’s best preserved jewish quarters. Definitely worth a visit as it offers a lot of history and insights into past life in Girona and the life of the jewish community.
- Food, food, food: the cuisine of Girona reflects the convergence of mountain and sea. Savory delights include anchovies, botifarra sausage, mashed cabbage and potatoes and a series of dishes that will surprise many by its combination of ingredients called mar i muntanya, normally a stew made with seafood and meat such as sausage, chicken or pork. For a sweet treat, you should definitely try the xuxos, a fried pastry filled with cream. A must for food enthusiasts is the acclaimed Michelin-star restaurant El Celler de Can Roca, which has been declared the world’s best restaurant in more than one occasion.
- Flower Festival Temps de Flors: every year in May the city celebrates spring and flowers, and its possible to admire installations and events all over the city.
Top places to stay
These are the hotels in Girona that have caught my eye and my heart. You can now enjoy them with a 10% discount – click here to book your hotel at a discounted price!
AS Palau dels Alemanys
Offering self-catered apartments in a traditional stone building, it’s the perfect place to stay and enjoy the medieval atmosphere of Girona. Click here for more information and to book your stay.
Ciutat de Girona
Modern design, a spa, a gym and a perfect location in the center of the city, close to the river. Book your room now: click here.
Montjuic Bed & Breakfast
Located on the hills surrounding the city, this bed & breakfast has a lot of charm and is the perfect choice for a relaxing stay close both to the nature and the city life. Click here to book your stay now.
How to get there
By car: the drive to Girona takes about 1 hours 10 minutes and it’s very easy to reach with the AP-7 highway. Need a car? Click here to rent one.
By train: the journey on the high speed train (AVE), departing from Barcelona Sants train station, takes 38 minutes and return tickets start at 25 EUR.
There are also organized trips from Barcelona, which is a good option if you don’t want to stress over the organization. Click here to book your tour to Girona from Barcelona.